The California Disability Rights Center is dedicated to providing representation to individuals with disabilities and groups representing the disabled community.

The CDRC envisions a society where abilities rather than disabilities are emphasized; where all people have an equal opportunity to participate in society; where all people are treated with equity, dignity and respect for their expressed choices.

What can you do if you think a public accommodation is not in compliance?

It is important to understand that there are no ADA police. Individuals and organizations can make a big difference in making sure public accommodations comply with the ADA. Most of the complaints about the lack of compliance with Title III of the ADA come from individuals who have disabilities and from various disability organizations. If you think a business or other public place is out of compliance with Title III of the ADA, there are several things you can do:

  • Contact your regional disability assistance center. Be prepared to explain specifically what you think might be out of compliance.
  • Contact the owner of the business when you are sure that your complaint is accurate. Sometimes business persons simply do not know the law and will comply once they understand what they must do.
  • Contact your local Independent Disability Rights Center or other disability organizations to see if they are working on Title III complaints. These agencies and organizations will often make a complaint in your behalf.
  • File a Title III Complaint with the U. S. Department of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights - NYAVE, Washington, D.C. 20530.
  • Contact a private attorney who specializes in Title III ADA cases.